Search This Blog

Translate This Page

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Extrabiblical Evidences of Biblical Persons and/or Events: The Mesad Hashavyahu Ostracon


An ostracon is a piece of broken pottery which is used as a writing surface in the same way we would use paper.  The Mesad Hashavyahu Ostracon is a seventh century BC/BCE fragment of a jar which is inscribed with fourteen lines of Hebrew text and contains the earlist known mention of the Sabbath by a non-biblical source.

The Mesad Hasavyahu is the ruins of an ancient fortress built about 630 BC/BCE, during the reign of Josiah, king of Judah.  The ruins are named for the supervisor mentioned in the inscription.  The original name of the fortress is unknown.  The border fortress faced the Philistine city of Ashdod.

The ostracon is currently housed in the Israel Museum in Jerusalem.  It was found in 1960 by the archeologist, Joseph Naveh, during the excavation of the fortress' guard house.

"Let my lord, the governor, hear the word of his servant! Your servant is a reaper. Your servant was in Hazar Asam, and your servant reaped, and finished, and he has stored (the grain) during these days before the Sabbath. When your servant had finished the harvest, and had stored (the grain) during these days, Hoshavyahu came, the son of Shobi, and he seized the garment of your servant, when I had finished my harvest. It (is already now some) days (since) he took the garment of your servant. And all my companions can bear witness for me - they who reaped with me in the heat of the harvest - yes, my companions can bear witness for me. Amen! I am innocent from guilt. And he stole my garment! It is for the governor to give back the garment of his servant. So grant him mercy in that you return the garment of your servant and do not be displeased."

No comments:

Post a Comment