Search This Blog

Translate This Page

Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Elvis Presley Singing "Amazing Grace"


Elvis Aaron Presley (January 8, 1935 – August 16, 1977) was one of the most popular American singers of the 20th century. A cultural icon, he is widely known by the single name Elvis.   He was raised in The First Assembly of God Church in Memphis, Tennessee. Whether or not he was actually a Christian is still debated.  Listen to what he said to his pastor in Memphis.


“Pastor, I am the most miserable young man you have ever seen. I have got more money than I can ever spend. I have thousands of fans out there, and I have a lot of people who call themselves my friends, but I am miserable. I am not doing a lot of things you taught me, and I am doing some things that you taught me not to do. But no matter what I do, I don’t forget about God. I feel He’s watching every move I make. And in a way it’s good for me. I’ll never feel easy smoking a cigarette. I just don’t think those things are right for me…I just want to let a few people know that the way I live is by doing what I think God wants me to. I want someone to understand.” (From, Last Train to Memphis, Peter Guralnick, Back Bay books)


PresleyPromo1954

No comments:

Post a Comment