Search This Blog

Translate This Page

Total Pageviews

Friday, April 23, 2010

The Bread of Life

"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating." Luciano Pavarotti


Luciano Pavarotti (1935-2007) is considered to have been one of the greatesy operatic tenors of all time,with a strong booming voice which never missed a note. He was a large man who loved life, women, and food, a lot. His meals, especially, were legendary.

Gluttony is considered one of the great sins, but enjoyment of food is not gluttony. The idea of the sin of gluttony is eating (or any other activity) taken to an excessive level, especially when the activity is at the expense of others. It reduces back to The Great Sin; the deification of self.

The enjoyment of food, the study of food, and the appreciation of cooking as an art form are all acceptable to God as long as we remember that our real food comes from study of the Word of God, communion with His people, and the indwelling of His Holy Spirit.

"Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works." 
Ecclesiastes 9:7


"Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work." John 4:34


"And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst." John 6:35


"I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world." John 6:51

No comments:

Post a Comment