Search This Blog

Translate This Page

Total Pageviews

Monday, October 11, 2010

Bible Printer's Errors: The Wife-hater Bible

The 1810 Wife-hater Bible says something entirely different with the mistaken substitution of one word.

What it says:

“If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own wife also, he cannot be my disciple.” Luke 14:26

What it should have said:

“If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.” Luke 14:26

This verse is almost universally recognized to not be actually teaching literal hate for one's family.  It is hyperbolic language, the language of absoluteness, a conscious exaggeration for effect.  It's like saying "I hate liver!" (for other examples see Genesis 29:30-31 and Luke 16:13)

No comments:

Post a Comment