Search This Blog

Translate This Page

Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Christian Heresies: King James Onlyism

You may have noticed that when I quote from the Bible, I use the King James Version (KJV).  This has practical, cultural, and personal reasons.  It is the version of the Bible with which I grew up and with which I am entirely comfortable, but it is not the only version I use.  I also consult the New International Version and the Greek New Testament.  I have said here before that I would also like to consult the Hebrew Bible, but the Hebrew language is an impenetrable mystery to me.

The main reason that I quote here from the King James Version is that it is in the public domain so there are no copyright issues.  Some of the newer translations are actually sometimes easier to understand for English-speakers.

Followers of the King James Only Movement would declare that I am a heretic or that, because I use any translation other than the 1611 Authorized Version KJV, including any other modern languages, that I am not saved.  Their interpretation is at the very least, incorrect, and at the worst, heretical.  Heretical because it is, or borders on being, a form of idolatry.  Some actually believe that the KJV takes precedence over the Greek and Hebrew originals.  They worship a particular version of the book and miss what the book actually is.  They have allowed themselves to become distracted by side issues, taking their eyes off their true purpose: furthering the Kingdom of God.

The Bible is a collection of poems, letters, histories, instructions, laws, proverbs, songs, and other literature.  Left alone it will sit on a shelf.  Just a book.  In the hands of a believer, the divinely inspired book comes alive; one of the tools used by the Holy Spirit to instruct, comfort, teach, correct, and convict.  Some call it the Word of God, but the Bible itself tells us in John 1:1 that Jesus is the Word.  The Holy Spirit uses the Bible to glorify Jesus.


a spirited refutation of King James Onlyism


has a number of pro and con links at the end of the article


No comments:

Post a Comment