Search This Blog

Translate This Page

Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Film Comment: Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace: Hymns That Changed the World (2007) is documentary film produced by Questar Entertainment.  There is a "Praise and Worship Extra" on the DVD which, to me, was overly syrupy and saccharin with lush strings, beautiful nature scenes, and a rich baritone narration.  There was nothing wrong with it, but I felt that I had to wipe off a little sugar from my face.  Watch the DVD extra material if you like that sort of thing.

The "meat" of the disc is the documentary itself.  This makes the DVD totally worthwhile.  The totally unexpected stories behind five beloved hymns are recounted by pastors, musicians, and hymnologists.  The often tragic lives of the writers of the hymns are discussed.  Out of their pain and because of their faith, these men produced five of the most powerful hymns ever written: "It Is Well With My Soul," "Silent Night," "How Great Thou Art," "What a Friend We Have In Jesus," and the most remarkable story, "Amazing Grace."

I strongly recommend that you watch this excellent DVD.  I obtained my rental copy from Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment